Friday, May 4, 2012

My Pinterest Adventures


I signed up for Pinterest at the beginning of the semester. To be honest, I was not very interested in the site and saw it mainly as another task to take care of and occasionally visit. After downloading the "Pin It" button to my browser, however, the convenience of pinning became too hard to resist.  I now use it almost every day to pin sites and pictures or to simply browse what the pinners I follow have updated their boards with.

The Wonderful World of Pinterest
 As it stands right now, my Pinterest is still growing. I have used it mainly for interesting sites, pictures and articles that I come across and think I would like to revisit at some point. My Pinterest board currently has four boards: Urban Legends/Folklore,  Miscellaneous, Books, and Teacher Stuff. I have a mixture of funny pins, serious articles, interesting pictures, etc. all on my profile.

One of the reasons I like the site is that it is simple to link up with my Facebook and Twitter accounts. I can share pins with people on both social networking sites easily and almost instantly. Although I am using Pinterest for my own interests and purposes, I can definitely see myself using it as a kind of bookmarking site for a future classroom. I would like to have boards dedicated to grammar, writing, reading, and perhaps interesting films or video clips. Since using Pinterest, I have seen how many resources are available to pin, how many humorous sites overlap with school topics, etc. Another convenient aspect of the site is that you can follow Pinners or follow a  Pinner's specific board. I currently follow the education boards of pinners who post materials and sites that are relevant to my subject matter. They show up in my feed and are easy to repin and share on other social networking sites. I find this to be an easy to way to expand and network, connecting with other educators through social media.

In fact, check out this infographic: Apparently, Pinterest is rapidly growing!




No comments:

Post a Comment