Monday, April 30, 2012

Quizlet for ELD Vocabulary


Oh, the beauty of flashcards.






I have been an avid flashcard maker and user for years now. I used flashcards to learn my multiplication tables, countless vocabulary words for language classes, review for my high school AP tests, practice for the English CSETS, memorize concepts for difficult math and science classes, the list is endless. 



Throughout the years, however, I found that flashcards are bulky and a hassle to carry around. I made the switch to digital flashcards about 1.5 years ago when I discovered Quizlet. It's amazingly easy to use and adds more bonuses to a study session: spelling activities, mini tests, and games. Although these features have not been fleshed out yet, they are very helpful when studying new concepts or vocabulary. 


I have decided to begin using Quizlet for my ELD 1 & 2 class. Part of the reason for why I decided to go with Quizlet is because the students have computers at home and would much rather prefer doing things electronically (hopefully this will get them to study!). Also, Quizlet has a feature in which you can hear the words and the definitions, which will help my students with pronunciation of the words. I just found out that Quizlet also has an app for smartphones, which means the students can even access it on their phones. I will continue blogging on the progress as my students begin to use it. For now, all I can say is that I look forward to seeing how it works out for them!


Check out Quizlet and some of the features for teachers by visiting:  http://quizlet.com/teachers/

No comments:

Post a Comment